Pecan pie has always been something that I loved but never really learned to make until quite recently (thank you to Hummingbird Bakery for sharing their secrets! If you haven’t got their books yet, you should go because the books have foolproof, easy to follow recipes!). I love how it looks when you’ve lined your flan pan with the pie crust and arranged the pecan nuts for decoration on top of the filling. Then you wait for 55 minutes or so and bring out the beautifully toffee-coloured cake. I’m smiling right now, just thinking about it.
So I’m sharing the love and the joy of baking and sharing my favourite pecan pie recipe.
For the pie crust:
260 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
110 g unsalted butter
Directions for the pie crust:
- Put the flour salt and butter in an electric mixer and beat on slow spead until you get a sandy consistency.
- Add 1 tablespoon water and beat until well mixed. Add a second tablespoon of water and beat until you have a smooth, even dough. If the dough is still dry, add another tablespoon of water, but be careful not to add too much water. It is safer to beat the dough at high speed to bring the ingredients together.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to rest of 1 hour in the fridge.
For the pecan pie filling:
200 g caster sugar
250 ml corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
60 g unsalted butter, cubed
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 g shelled pecan nuts, chopped, plus extra pecan halves to decorate
Directions for the pecan pie:
- Preheat oven to 170ºC (325ºF).
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Line the prepared pie dish with dough and trim the edges with a sharp knife.
- Put sugar and corn syrup and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat and leave to cool down slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs briefly with a balloon whisk until they’re mixed. Slowly pour the warm–not hot as this will scramble the eggs!–syrup into the eggs, stirring briskly. Add the butter and vanilla extract to the syrup and eggs mixture and stir until all the butter has completely melted.
- Put the chopped pecan nuts into the pie crust and then pour the syrup-egg mixture over the nuts. Arrange the pecan halves gently on the top of the filling. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 mins (in a fan oven about 55-57.5 minutes will be perfect) or until the filling is a dark, caramel colour with a slightly crusty surface.