Presenting (finally) the recipe for Mango Love!
I created this recipe to enter the Emerald Street Cupcake Challenge. While I didn’t make the shortlist (I was disappointed, but I knew my recipe was more tropical than American), the whole process of creating and designing a cupcake was a very enjoyable and very delicious one!
This lovely golden cupcake is offers you a burst of tropical mango sunshine. The twists of lime in the sponge, frosting and mango jelly are added to bring out the mango flavour. The cupcake is moist and full of fruity mango sweetness. The mango flavour theme continues in its golden yellow frosting. It is topped with a heart-shaped mango jelly piece. This luscious burst of tropical sunshine during the cold winter months that will have you reaching for another…and another!
50g butter, unsalted
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
200g mango pulp
2 tbsp lime juice
300g icing sugar
1 1/2 tbps lime juice
40g mango pulp
Mango jelly (for decoration, optional):
50ml hot water
80g mango pulp
1 tbsp lime juice
15g granulated sugar
1 packet gelatin
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt until well combined with a balloon whisk and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the mango pulp and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until this becomes fluffly and light yellow in colour. About 5 minutes. Add egg and mix until mixture is creamy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until a heavy batter forms. Add the mango pulp into the batter and mix for 5 minutes until the mango pulp is distributed well. You may have to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl to make sure everything is well combined.
- Spoon into a lined muffin tin. Makes 8 – 10 cupcakes. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To make the frosting, cream butter and the icing sugar together. Add mango pulp and lime juice until the mixture is creamy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- To make mango jelly for decoration, mix hot water with 1 packet of gelatin until gelatin is dissolved, mix in the sugar, mango pulp and lime. Allow to set (leave for about 4 hours for it to set properly) and cut into cubes or shapes and use to top frosted cupcake
This recipe makes 10-12 cup cakes.
2 thoughts on “Mango Love!”
Yum! I love mango but never tried this on a cupcake before.
It’s a good recipe to try, if I say so myself! 🙂